Application for Entrance Examination for admission to class VI/IX in are released every year in the month of Sep/Oct. Candidates can apply only through online mode from the official website of the Sainik Schools.
The likely number of vacancies in every academic year is 120 for Class VI and 20 for Class IX. The vacancies for admission projected in the prospectus and advertised in the newspaper are anticipated and approximate which are being calculated based on the vacancies arising in the previous year, however, the exact No. of vacancies to maintain the authorised strength of the School are being worked out, subsequently based on various factors like withdrawals, failures if any, prolonged absentees etc. and taking into consideration the strength of outgoing Class XII being taken off rolls. However, the number can be changed due to policy/administrative reasons.
1. 67% of the seats are reserved for candidates domiciled in the State/ UT where the Sainik School is located.
2. 33% of the seats are reserved for candidates from Other States and Union Territories (UT).
Note: Within each Category of Home State/ UT and Other States/ UT quota, seats will be reserved on the following lines:
(a) 15% of the seats are reserved for the category Scheduled Caste (SC),
(b) 7.5% for the category Scheduled Tribe (ST) and
(c) 27% for the category Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non Creamy layer (OBC-NCL) as per the central list.
3. Thus, 49.50% of the seats in Sainik School are reserved on the above mentioned lines.
4. Out of the balance 50.50% of the seats in the Home State/ UT and Other States/ UT quota, 25% of the seats are reserved for the wards of Defence personnel and ex-servicemen. The unfilled vacancies in the 25% quota will be allocated to the children of Coast Guard and Assam Rifles personnel. The Scholarships for the wards of Coast Guard and Assam Rifiels personnel to be provided by the Coast Guard and Assam Rifies out of its own funds.
5. In “Other States/ UT” quota, seats will be allotted in each category as per merit, subject to a maximum limit of 25% of vacancies in the category for any State or Union Territory.
6. 10% of the strength of Class VI or 10 number seats (Whichever is higher) will be reserved for Girl candidates under respective category.